May 3, 2016 by Kathleen Sullivan
Dehydration can occur in virtually every physical activity scenario. It does not have to be hot outside. You can become dehydrated cycling, golfing, exercise walking or running on a cool spring day.
Dehydration occurs when the body loses more fluids through sweating than it takes in. The consequences of mild dehydration include muscle fatigue, loss of coordination and decreased energy or athletic performance.
Hydration is required before, during and after exercise. Athletes are advised to begin exercise well hydrated and replace fluids during exercise to promote adequate hydration. Additionally, rehydrate after exercise by drinking enough fluid to replace fluids lost during exercise.
Sports drinks provide hydration, but not all sports drinks are healthy. Perform 100 is the next generation of sports nutrition. Perform 100 is a performance and recovery supplement that provides hydration, while also protecting joints and tissues. Perform 100 improves performance and energy with 25g collagen protein and BCAAs. Take Perform 100 before, during and after workouts for maximum benefits and hydration.
Here is a great video highlighting the history and benefits of gelatin and bone broth.
If you go to the store looking for a protein powder, you will find entire shelves full of whey protein. While whey is a popular name in protein right now, there is a new product on the market with all the benefits of whey and more. This product is called Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen. What is Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen, and why is it superior to whey protein? We give you the run down.
First things first, what is whey protein and what is hydrolyzed collagen?
- beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, bovine serum albumin, immunoglobins
So what is it?
- There are two proteins in milk; casein and whey. The two can be separated, leaving just the whey protein.
- Whey is a complete protein with 20 amino acids, 9 of which are essential amino acids (the amino acids your body doesn’t produce).
- Whey protein concentrate: low fat, low carbohydrates, protein levels vary
- Whey protein isolate: no fat, no lactose (filtration leaves 15%, ion-exchange leaves 5%), typically 90% protein
- Whey protein hydroslate: requires less digestion
Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen:
- Porcine Collagen Peptides, Bovine Collagen, Fish Collagen Peptides
So what is it?
- Collagen represents 30% of animal protein matter. It is a key protein for joint, skin, bone and cartilage health.
- Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen are type 1 Collagen Peptides, containing over 97% protein. It is easily digested, and includes 18 amino-acids, 7 of which are essential amino acids.
- Made from enzymatic hydrolysis of native collagen
What’s the Difference?
- Whey comes from dairy, which means it can cause digestive issues, stomach cramps, nausea, fatigue and headaches in those with lactose intolerance.
- In its natural form, whey is gluten free, however many whey products add “glutamine peptides” which is hydrolyzed wheat protein. This makes whey a bad option for gluten free and paleo diets.
- Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen is a non-allergenic, dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, kosher, and paleo protein supplement.
- Since Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen is hydrolyzed, it is highly digestible and quickly absorbed meaning faster recovery. With hydrolyzed collagen, up to 90% of the protein is absorbed.
- Hydrolyzed whey is very expensive and bitter. The more common, non-hydrolyzed whey contains just 25%-40% protein, while Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen contains 97% protein and is rapidly absorbed.
- Hydrolyzed collagen can be digested safely by people with dairy and gluten intolerance.
The Bottom Line:
- Both hydrolyzed Collagen and whey have been proven to increase blood levels of essential amino acids, stimulating the production of muscle protein. However, Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen is absorbed faster than whey, producing a better recovery.
- Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen is dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo and kosher, so you don’t have to worry about unpleasant digestive issues or sacrifice your diet.
- Studies have shown hydrolyzed collagen not only promotes muscle regeneration, but also stimulates bone tissue formation, reduces the cartilage degrading effects of osteoarthritis, lessens joint pain, improves skin appearance and decreases wrinkles, and improves athletic performance.
- If you are looking for a protein powder with all the essential amino acids, Protein Essentials Perform 100 is a collagen based sports recovery supplement that has all 9.
Learn more about the many reasons Peptan® Hydrolyzed Collagen is whey better here:
Make the switch to hydrolyzed collagen today: